Monday, September 7, 2015

Spreading the word and learning a new art.

This Summer I took on a project that sounded so simple. Turn my Corset Making 101 class into a DVD. How hard can it be? Right? Right?

WOW!!! What a summer!


The first obstacle was to come up with a story board. I have a lesson plan for live classes, but having some one live asking questions, and being able to "read the room" is very different from looking into a camera. 


Looking into the camera was another difficult bit. Remembering to look up, smile, and be mindful of where my hands were while sewing to make sure the camera could see what I was doing... well, it's a lot! 

But I survived the filming. I thought that was the worst... until the editing started. 

Now I don't have a terrible self image. I'm pretty comfortable in my own skin, but watching myself on film was one of the hardest things I have ever done. Not only did I nit-pick EVERYTHING from my voice inflection to my hand gestures, to what I was wearing, but I also felt very self conscience. I just wanted everything to be perfect. 

As we've continued on, my videographer/editor has reminded me that I'm a seamstress, not an actress, and that coming across on the video is not a bad thing. I don't have to be perfect. I know what I'm doing and that shows. If I trip on my words, or roll my eyes, it just makes me more personable. It's what makes me The Sewing Wench. 


This project has taken a lot more than just my time and understanding. It takes money, and that is slowly running out. 

If you'd like to help support a one woman corset factory, there are a few ways you can help me make this project see its full potential. 
  1. GoFundMe campaign here: http://www.gofundme.com/7h3m6z2k for direct donations
  2. Buy the pre-sell of the DVD here: http://mkt.com/mladys-coutorier/corset-making-dvd-pre-sale
  3. Purchase anything from the website or the Etsy page
  4. Spread the word through Twitter, Facebook Google+, Pinterest, or any other social media or email/word of mouth
Sometimes getting the word out is just as important as direct donations. Having the right word get to the right person can have a huge impact. 

No comments:

Post a Comment